Closed Captions != Subtitles

I'm in the habit of downloading fansubbed anime. Its nice cause you get to see it months (sometimes years) before it comes out in the US. When I watch a series if I liked it I'll pick it up when it comes out in America.
I picked up Paradise Kiss vol.1 the other week and hadn't gotten around to watching it. I watched it when it aired in japan and loved it. I really had no desire to watch the US release since I had seen it more than once already. But a friend of mine is in town and I felt the need to show it to him. It was a horrible 30 minutes. Don't jump to conclusions, we were watching it in japanese. Anyone who knows me knows I hate english dubs as does most anyone I respect. However, my problem with it was the subtitles. They weren't subtitles they were close captions.
The dialog was bland and boring. I should have just watched it with the english voices on it was so painful. The whole experience made me question why I buy anime. I think its important to support good anime and that's my main reason for buying it. But if I don't feel I can watch it in its original glory then what's the point. I'm feeling guilty because I deleted the fansubs that I had watched last year. And its not like I'm looking for a reason to save money, on the contrary, I buy anime before I buy games.
Anyone else feeling the same?

4 comments:

hatsumi said...

I've never watched an anime with subtitles that were that bad. I'm now seriously reconsidering if I'm going to buy ParaKiss, though. I imagine it probably wouldn't bother me as much as it bothers you, though. Not because I have lower standards or anything, but simply because I only use subtitles to supplement the translations. My Japanese understanding is good enough where I don't really NEED subs (except for certain ones like GITS, for example). They're just helpful. If I understood virtually no Japanese, though, I'd probably be pretty pissed off, too.

hatsumi said...

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm up at 5:45 am... I had this really freaky ass nightmare involving being part of the Picard's Enterprise crew. There was a power failure, turbo lifts were doing freaky things, and Oridinai was that salt monster from the original series that totally scared me as a kid and he was going around killing people. I can't remember other details...lol. And no, I didn't watch ANY Star Trek last night...hehe. (Sorry to post off topic...)

ddaydj said...

haha, when i saw you had two responses i was sure you were gonna tell me that if i'm gonna be such an elitist asshole i should just learn japanese. if you like you can come over and watch an episode (you need to stop by anyways) and judge for yourself. in general the show seems to have loss its charm with the poor translation.

hatsumi said...

Well, you ARE an elitist asshole, but I'm an elitist bitch, so it's okay. :) I wonder if I still have the fansubs on my hard drive...