GamerScore that matters

I never really got Microsoft's GamerScore on the 360. I mean, I understand it, its just that I don't get why anyone would care. The system seems totally off-balance and pointless. Example, I've logged 5000 hours into FFXI and I have gotten about 30 points. However if i got around to beating PSU's single player (about 12~20 hours) I'd get a nice 1000 points.
Sony currently doesn't have anything like a gamerscore for PS3. Last Thursday they had a firmware update that came with Folding@Home. The project's goal is to use your computer (ps3) to simulate how proteins fold. I admit that I understand very little of how the project works, but the goal of the entire thing is to help cure various diseases. As you run the program it keeps track of your contribution by giving you a score. A nice and more meaningful alternative to the 360's gamerscore.
Anyways, I know a few of the people that read this have PS3s so I'd like to point out that tonight is the first Sunday Night Foldathon. I'll be running mine tonight on my PS3 and I have my pc set to run it constantly when idle. My progress is here (currently 43% through my first unit so probably will be blank til monday around noon), and I have the PS3 at work setup as well which you can track here.

5 comments:

hatsumi said...

I've been trying to fold@home whenever possible on my PS3. Warm and fuzzy feeling that. ;-) I really need to re-network my house so that I can have it run whenever idle. I'll get around to it eventually.

ddaydj said...

math has revealed that running your ps3 and folding@home 24/7 will cost you 60$ a month. just a heads up. btw, you wanna setup ub3r network soon?

hatsumi said...

$60 a month for what? Electricity? I'm not running it all the time. Only when no one is home and sometimes when people are asleep. I can't leave it on overnight unless I know I'm going to be up before everyone else to turn it off. I don't pay the electric bill anyway.

I'll set up my ub3r network after I finish my stupid new machine. Since I had to take time off work with no pay to visit my mother-in-law before she passed away, I'm having financial stresses...lol. I need Vista, processor, and RAM. Probably won't happen for another month, though.

hatsumi said...

Oh yeah, a friend of mine works for Stanford in their network security department or something like that. (Remind me to ask him his job title...) Anyway, I sent him an e-mail that I was folding and he replied this:

We actually almost put a stop to folding@home and the ps3's, as its
based in our network at Stanford and they messed up the config for a
bit from the overwhelming demand. Some 3 million hits in an hour to
an empty web page. At first blush, we thought it was some attack.

ddaydj said...

haha, that's great. i was a little disappointed with last nights SNF, it wasn't nearly as high as i was hoping. oh well, maybe next week we'll break a petaflop.