XBox 360 Elite... NO!

Its been 2 weeks now of news sites reporting about this thing. Its so fucking stupid that I don't even know where to begin. Everything started with an article in Game Informer's (not a legitimate source of news) April (month know for pranks!) issue where they talk about a new XBox with HDMI and a 120gb hard drive. I wanna go over each of the things I've read regarding this so atleast some of you know better.
The addition of HDMI on the 360 is more than just adding a port, there's an additional chip that must be on the main board of the system. Not even a breakout box will work. If Microsoft releases a system with HDMI all of its current customer base will have no way of getting HDMI without buying the new system. While Microsoft has been know to be evil, I doubt they are going to betray their customers, and only a year after their original system's launch. Pictures of a system with HDMI have been floating around. These are old~! Back around Christmas these popped up and when Microsoft was asked about it they said that HDMI was available on some of the dev units.
Now the 120gb hard drive is a little different. If released current 360 owners would be able to upgrade without needing to buy a new system. While it may be on the way, its not because of any of the reasons I've read. People have been saying that a larger hard drive will be needed for the IPTV service which is suppose to launch later this year. When Microsoft was showing this off back at CES they said that they planned to do it all through software and that everything would be server side, so no need for a larger hard drive.
I think there was a few other bits of info that "confirm" a new system is on the way. If anyone has something to add please post a comment and if i missed something I'll go ahead and add it to the post.

5 comments:

hatsumi said...

Not to mention the complete lack of information on Microsoft's site. Now I realize that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still... I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the Elite 360 was BS. Yay, I'm not totally crazy~!

ddaydj said...

"Microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation" is their typical response. But if you're going to be releasing new hardware, they're gonna build some hype for it. GI said that it will be out at the end of April. it really annoys me that all the news sites have fallen for this after every one of them warned people about April Fool's. I can understand them not wanting to miss out on a big piece of gaming news but come on!

hatsumi said...

You realize that if for some really bizarre reason we're wrong, we're going to have to buy new 360's, right? Personally, I don't think we're wrong, though... Latest bit of news comes from some cellular phone pictures from a factory... Suuuuure...

Here's one of many links...

hatsumi said...

I was explaining this whole thing to my mom yesterday and a thought occurred to me... Can you imagine how pissed off people are going to be when they finally figure it out? Hehe. I'm kind of looking forward to that...

hatsumi said...

It's on the official XBox site. I'm slightly worried now...

LINK